Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Visit from our Moms!

Last week Niki and I were fortunate enough to have both of our mothers come for a visit. We had such a great time with them, and they certainly showered us with so many blessings and gifts as we prepare for our daughter's arrival. We spent one day shopping for some of the bigger items we knew we would need before the baby is born. We did so much shopping that we could barely fit in the car...Mom and Donna literally had to ride home with the mattress for the crib on their heads! I love the picture! But their gifts went far beyond materials. Both of them worked tirelessly to help us get our house prepared for life after the birth. From pulling weeds to doing laundry to rearranging furniture to helping get our girl's room set up, they gave so much of themselves that I am sure they were exhausted when they got home. I cannot tell you how grateful we are for their hard work and love. These two women are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to making their children's life easier. And as I sit here and write this, it is shocking to me to know the next time we see them, we will be parents. Wow. We will be parents the next time we see our moms and dads and brothers and in laws and everyone in our family. I hope we can be as loving and generous as our entire families have been to us. Thinking about the love that it took to pull weeds and spray insecticide in the sweltering heat or to make multiple trips from the basement to the baby's room when your legs and back are screaming at you to stop makes me appreciate the work of parenthood. We are grateful for the example our mothers were while they were here, and we hope to honor them in the way we love our child. And we also know that if it ever just gets too hard, we can send her to stay with Grandma...that will make it all better.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, the Mothers (Grandmothers) were great on the visit and from what I heard had a great time while they were there. Just remember, when (Grand)Mothers are at your place, some one is HOME ALONE. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved every minute of being with Donna and our wonderful kids!! Our little kids that are having us a grandaughter, how EXCITING!!! We can't wait! It was so much fun seeing my beautiful Daughter-in-law pregant; she looks even more beautiful and never complains. It was so much fun shopping with Patrick and picking out a little gown together for his new daughter. He was a real trooper shopping with 3 women and driving us around everwhere while me and Donna just rode in the twilight zone talking about our new grandbaby! I'm so thankful for the days I spent there getting to fold and put my grandaughters new little clothes away, I'll never foget it! I can't wait to come back and meet her and hold her in my arms! God please give them a job in Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the picture, and did we ever have a great time - Sooo special! To see Niki close to being a mommy warms my heart! Shirley and I wanted to help; it's just what Mom's do! The shopping was a fun marathon,and Patrick was amazing to cart 3 woman all over DC and Virginia!! Shirley and I would have been in "Pluto" if we were driving! Thank-you for letting us be a part of getting ready for out precious grandbaby!! You will be great parents! You can send her to Gramma's ANYTIME just for a break or a trip, etc! That's why we had kids - - so we could be grandma's!! HA!

    ReplyDelete